When you are touring Bangkok, then you should better familiarize yourself with the local culture so that you do not fall prey to some moments of embarrassment or in some civic troubles. The customs and rituals of this country may not be similar to what you are used to back home. So, here are a few things which you should abstain from doing during your Bangkok tour :
- Do not Place Your hand Over the Head of any person or child. In India, usually elders place their hands over children or any younger person as a mark of offering his blessing. But the same can lead you into trouble in Thailand since such an act is considered offensive. The portion over the head is considered sacrosanct and revered in Thailand. Hence, you should refrain from touching it.
- Do not Point with Your Toes or Feet: The Thai community regards the feet and the toes as an abominable part of the body. So, no one uses them to point at anything. You too must refrain from pointing towards anything with your feet, as that would be seen as a mark of disrespect.
- Do not Get Mushy in Public Places: If you hail from a western country or have enjoyed a liberal upbringing, then please take note of the fact that this country does not encourage PDA (public display of affection). Bangkok may appear to be flashy and modern, but its locals are traditional and do not permit people to kiss openly at public venues.
- Stay Away from Gambling: Gambling is not legally permitted in this country. So, you must not ask people about directions to casinos.
- Do not Disrespect the Thai King: The royal family is regarded with great esteem and reverence. Foreign tourists must never speak of them with disrespect or with a tone of mockery, since that would infuriate the general public and get you into trouble.
- Do not Get Lured by Call Girls: Cities like Bangkok and Pattaya are notorious for brothels and call girls. You may feel tempted to slip into the bed with them. But it is advisable not to do so, since many of these girls carry those diseases which can be transferred to you during the act of profanity and prove to be extremely deadly.
- Stay Away from Drugs: While buying the Bangkok packages, you will be clearly warned not to indulge in any activity revolving around drug trafficking. Though it is an illegal and an immoral activity, the practice is still followed behind silent corridors. If someone finds you gullible and tries to pull you into this business, be bold enough to refuse him. If caught, you shall find yourself behind the bars. If not caught, you shall find yourself getting imprisoned to the evil known as ‘drug addiction.
- Do not Blindly Trust Any Stranger: Some people in Bangkok may appear extremely polite and amicable. But it would be naïve to put your blind trust in them. The nefarious-minded people may swindle you off your funds or even commit some other gruesome crime of a more grievous nature. So, even while you get friendly with a random male or female, do remember to maintain safe distance.
For planning a safe Bangkok tour, do run through the various Bangkok packages brought to you by Hungry Bags, the best buddy of any backpacker.